When you are sick or not feeling well, go see a doctor. Illness has no negative influence on your asylum application.

Doctors in Germany have a duty of confidentiality and are prohibited from sharing information about you in general.


Here you can find current information on the coronavirus:

Here you can find information for Hamburg: 

Help with illness

Medical consultation is available In the Erstaufnahme (initial reception, EA). You will receive free medical treatment there and get a referral, if necessary.Asylum applicants in Hamburg are insured by the AOK Bremen/Bremerhaven. You do not need to register yourself, the EA will take care of it.

In the EA, you will receive a “certificate for presentation to the attending physician” and later an electronic health card (eGK). You can go to the doctor with the certificate or the health card. Treatment is generally free.

If you have not yet been registered with the AOK and needed medical assistance, the employees of the EA can fill out a form for you. This form lets you got to the doctor, an emergency service or the hospital for free within 24 hours. https://goo.gl/AAJshc

You will be insured by the AOK Bremen/Bremerhaven until your asylum application is accepted or rejected and you leave the country. When your application for asylum is accepted, you can seek out your own health insurance. https://goo.gl/r8bDM5


In Germany there are various types of doctor. The treating doctors can be both men and women. A Hausarzt (general practitioner) is responsible for your overall health. A Kinderarzt (paediatrician) is responsible for children. If you have problems with your teeth, you go to a Zahnarzt (dentist). A Frauenarzt (gynaecologist) is specifically responsible for women (including during pregnancy). Always arrange an appointment in advance!

You can search for doctors yourself here:

You can also find doctors here that speak your language. Otherwise, most doctors speak English. If you do not speak German or English, you will likely need an interpreter!

You can find a dictionary with the most important terms here: http://www.apotheken-umschau.de/multimedia/179/35/195/118768730129.pdf (English, French and Arabic) and here: http://www.apotheken-umschau.de/multimedia/125/83/94/118856466449.pdf (Urdu and Farsi).

If you have problems communicating the doctor, the ‘AOK HealthNavigator’ app will also help. It can be used by both the doctor and by you.


You can get drugs from a pharmacy. You will need a prescription from a doctor for many drugs. Necessary drugs are mostly free with a prescription. In an emergency, you can also collect them at night or at the weekend.

Non-prescription medical products (such as plasters) can also be obtained at a chemist.
You can search for pharmacies yourself here:


If you become ill at night, at the weekend or on a public holiday, in urgent cases you can visit an emergency practice. Call an emergency doctor only if you are unable to find a practice and you need to be treated immediately. The emergency departments of hospitals are available for emergencies and accidents. You should expect to have to wait here. In an emergency, doctors are obligated to treat you. It does not matter if you are registered or not.

  • Emergency practice in Farmsen: Berner Heerweg 124
    Mon, Tues, Thurs and Fri 7 pm – 12 am, Wednesday 1 pm – 12 am, Saturday, Sunday and public holidays 7 am – 12 am
  • Emergency practice in Altona: Stresemannstraße 54
    Mon, Tues, Thurs and Fri 7 pm – 12 am, Wednesday 1 pm – 12 am, Saturday, Sunday and public holidays 7 am – 12 am
  • Emergency doctor: +49 40 228022

You can find emergency medical services for children here:

Only on weekends and holidays

  • Altoner Kinderkrankenhaus (children’s hospital): Bleickenallee 38
    Saturday, Sunday and public holidays 10 am – 6 pm
  • Helios Mariahilf Clinic: Stader Straße 203c
    Saturday, Sunday and public holidays 10 am – 5 pm
  • Asklepios Klinik Nord – Heidberg: Tangstedter Landstraße 400
    Saturday, Sunday and public holidays 10 am – 6 pm
  • Wilhemlstift children’s Hospital: Liliencronstraße 130
    Saturday, Sunday and public holidays: 10 am – 6 pm

In an emergency you can call the Rettungsdienst (emergency service). Always say your name, where you are and what has happened. Wait for questions! An ambulance will collect injured people, no matter where they are.

  • Rettungsdienst (emergency service): 112
Help without paper

If you do not have a certificate or health insurance Card, you will receive medical aid from these advice centres. If you do not speak German or English, bring an interpreter with you! Advice is normally anonymous.

  • Medibüro Hamburg: Hospitalstraße 109
    +49 40 238558322, Monday and Thursday 3 pm – 5 pm
  • Praxis ohne Grenzen: Bauerberg 10
    +49 40 3099794660, Wednesday 3 pm – 6 pm
  • Migrantenmedizin Westend: Vogelhüttendeich 17
    +49 40 75666401, Tuesday 9 am – 1 pm, consultations for children every 2nd and 4th Wednesday of the month 4 pm – 6 pm, consultations for women every 1st and 3rd Wednesday of the month 9 am – 1 pm
Trauma and mental stress

If you have seen and experienced many bad things, you can carry these experiences with you and they can change you. If you feel overwhelmed by memories or suffer from anxiety, you should seek help. Psychotherapists or psychiatrists are responsible for this. You can visit them with your certificate or health insurance card. There are further free programmes, especially for children.

You can find help here (even without papers or registration):

  • haveno health centre St. Pauli: Seewartenstraße 10
    +49 40 31793535, arrange an appointment by phone by leaving a message in your native language on the answering machine. Give your name and your phone number. You will be called back.
  • Lichtpunkt e.V.: Ehrenbergstraße 69, 22767 Hamburg,
    appointments by phone +49 40 764 816 84 (Monday to Friday 9 am – 1 pm) or e-mail: info@lichtpunkt.org. Interpreters are available upon request.
  • SeeleFon (BKK crisis hotline): telephone self-help advice
    +49 228 71002425 (German, Arabic, English and French), e-mail: seelefon@psychiatrie.de, Monday to Wednesday 10 am – 12 pm and 2 pm – 3 pm

Help for traumatised children and young people:

  • Refugees outpatient department for children and young people of the UKE: Martinistraße 52
    +49 40 47193080, Monday to Thursday 9 am – 12 pm and 1 pm – 6 pm, Friday 9 am – 12 pm and 1 pm – 4 pm, you can also leave a message on the answering machine at any time
  • Ankerland Trauma-Info-Telefon: +49 40 63643627 (German or English)
    Trauma therapy centre by Ankerland e.V.: Löwenstraße 60, +49 40 76080855
  • Psychosocial consultation for refugees by the Diakonie Hamburg: Königstraße 54
    appointments by phone +49 40 30620352 or e-mail ellinghaus@diakonie-hamburg.de; languages: German, English, but interpreters are also available upon request.

Nobody is allowed to subject you to violence. This is a punishable crime in Germany. If you are a witness to or a victim of crime, seek out help! Contact the police or anonymously and confidentially contact an advice centre.

Domestic violence: members of your family are not allowed to threaten or subject you to violence either.

Sexual violence: it is forbidden to force other people into sexual acts.

You can find advice centres here:

  • SAVIA – Steps against violence
    +49 40 350177253, Monday to Wednesday 2 pm – 4 pm, Thursday and Friday 10 am – 12 pm
    You can find more information here: http://www.hamburg.de/savia
    For men and women subject to gender-specific violence and violence due to sexual orientation or identity there is a referral to other institutions.
  • Violence against women helpline
    +49 8000 116016, permanently staffed.
    The female employees speak Arabic, Persian and English, among other languages. Advice can also take place via e-mail and online chat. The helpline is accessible for the disabled. Further information available in various languages at:
  • You can also seek protection in Hamburg’s Frauenhäusern (women’s shelters): www.hamburgerfrauenhaeuser.de; emergency number: +49 40 – 8000 4 1000.

Last Updated: 16.018.2018

Print Friendly, PDF & Email