Якщо ви примусово виїхали з України (є біженцями з України), деяка з наданої нами інформації не застосовується до вас. Наразі ми працюємо над оновленням інформації.

If you have fled from Ukraine, some of our information does not apply to you. We are currently working on an update.

There are advice centres that help with asylum procedure. You can find several of them below. You should absolutely make use of these advice centres! This page does not replace any legal advice, but only provides an initial orientation. The employees of the advice centres may also recommend lawyers to you, if required, who can answer more specific questions and support you further. 

Ankunftszentrum Rahlstedt (Rahlstedt arrival centre)

Arrival in Hamburg

Note: Due to the corona pandemic, you have to do a test for COVID-19 when you arrive in the Ankunftszentrum (arrival centre).

If your test result is positive and you show symptoms of COVID-19, you will be transferred to a hospital and receive medical attention.

If your test result is positive and you show no symptoms, you will be transferred to another accommodation to be quarantined (Quarantäneeinrichtung).

In both cases you will be registered and the decision, in which German federal state your asylum procedure takes place, will be made when you have recovered or when your quarantine (Quarantäne) is over.

If your test result is negative, you will be registered. If your asylum procedure takes place in Hamburg, you will be transferred to another accommodation to be quarantined (Quarantäneeinrichtung). There you will be staying in isolation alone or with your family respectively in order to minimise the risk of spreading the virus. It is possible that you will be staying apart from members of your family that have a positive test result.

In the Ankunftszentrum as well as in the quarantine accommodation (Quarantäneeinrichtung) you will receive masks to cover your mouth and nose.

Further information on the coronavirus: https://we-inform.de/portal/en/health/

First, you need to report to the Ankunftszentrum in Rahlstedt (Bargkoppelweg 66a).

You will be registered there. During the registration process, the centre will record your personal information, such as your name and birthday, take a photo and get a copy of your fingerprints. Next, the centre will decide in which German federal state your asylum procedure will take place. You will be informed of this decision immediately.

Generally, you do not have any influence on the decision. There are exceptions, however, such as severe illness or a disability. For this reason, be sure to include this information.

Some people are particularly in need of protection and support during their asylum procedure (besonders schutzbedürftig). For instance, (unaccompanied) minors, people with disabilities, older people, single parents of minors, people with severe bodily or mental illness and victims of violence belong to this group. If you have seen or lived through bad experiences, this can also lead to mental issues. Then you are also particularly in need of protection (besonders schutzbedürftig). In this case, your needs have to be taken into consideration during the asylum procedure. Contact an advice centre.

You can find further information and advice centres in the sections “Trauma and mental stress” and “Support for refugees with a disability” on our page on the topic of health: https://we-inform.de/portal/en/health/

Initial registration

Asylum procedure outside of Hamburg

If your asylum procedure takes place in a different German federal state, you will immediately be informed of that. You will also receive a notice of place to go (Anlaufbescheinigung) with an address. This is where you will be able to apply for asylum. You will receive a train ticket to get there.

If you are only able to travel to your destination on the next day, you will be staying in the Ankunftszentrum for the night. You will only receive a proof of arrival (Ankunftsnachweis) once you reach the destination stated on the notice of place to go (Anlaufbescheinigung).

Asylum procedure in Hamburg

If your asylum process is to take place in Hamburg, you will receive a proof of arrival (Ankunftsnachweis) immediately. Ensure that your name and date of birth on the proof of arrival (Ankunftsnachweis) are correct!

Now you are officially registered as an asylum seeker in Germany. However, you have not yet applied for asylum.

The proof of arrival (Ankunftsnachweis) is valid for up to 6 months. At the moment it is often issued for 1 week. If you do not get another residence title (for example a permission to remain while the asylum decision is pending (Aufenthaltsgestattung)) before the proof of arrival (Ankunftsnachweis) expires, contact the Ausländerbehörde (foreign nationals authority) at the Ankunftszentrum or at Hammer Straße 30-34. If you lose your residence title, you should also contact them.

As soon as you receive the proof of arrival (Ankunftsnachweis), you have the right to accommodations, meals and medical care. Always carry your proof of arrival (Ankunftsnachweis) and IDs you receive in your accomodation with you!

Initial examination (Erstuntersuchung)

Subsequent to your registration, you will undergo an initial medical examination (Erstuntersuchung) in Bargkoppelstieg 10-14. This includes a X-ray examination (Röntgenuntersuchung), a blood sample and a brief physical exam. The examination is important in order to detect and treat infectious diseases. You can also get vaccinated.

Women may request a female doctor.

Official asylum application and hearing (Anhörung)

You submit your official asylum application to an employee of the BAMF (Bundesamt für Migration und Flüchtlinge, Federal Office for Migrants and Refugees) and obtain a permission to remain while the asylum decision is pending (Aufenthaltsgestattung). Always carry the permission to remain while the asylum decision is pending (Aufenthaltsgestattung) with you!

Dublin III

If you were already registered in another country, you will be asked about this. You were registered there if for example your fingerprints were recorded. A common European system allows the German authorities to find out about an earlier registration in another European country. You may have to go through your asylum process in that other country. You will be taken back to that country to do so. If necessary, seek help from an advice centre.

Hearing (Anhörung)

The hearing (Anhörung) is critical to the asylum application process. There, you explain why you left your country. Since this hearing (Anhörung) is especially important, you should prepare in advance.

It is possible that your hearing (Anhörung) will take place shortly after your arrival, possibly even on the same day as your official asylum application. Therefore, you should be prepared for it and visit an advice centre in advance if needed.
At the moment, it is possible that you only receive a questionnaire (Fragebogen) instead of the hearing (Anhörung). In this case, you should fill it out with support by an advice centre.

You can find more information about the hearing (Anhörung) here: https://we-inform.de/portal/en/hearing/

You can find a manual for the hearing (Anhörung) as well as the standard questions in various languages here: https://arrivalaid.org/anhoerungsbegleitung-klagebegleitung/

Further information in various languages: https://www.asyl.net/view/detail/News/information-zur-anhoerung-im-asylverfahren/

The decision-maker and an interpreter attend the hearing (Anhörung). You may bring someone with you, if you would like to. However, this person must be registered with the BAMF in advance and may not participate in the same asylum process. Lawyers or guardians do not require prior registration.

Please inform the BAMF if you are not ready to talk about stressful experiences.

Women can have a female decision-maker and interpreter on request.


Asylum: If a positive decision is made regarding your application for asylum, you receive a residence permit (Aufenthaltserlaubnis) as an electronic residence permit (elektronischen Aufenthaltstitel (eAT)). This entitles you to an integration course (Integrationskurs) and you can start working.

Refugee status is a requirement to apply for family reunification (Familiennachzug). Within 3 months of receiving refugee status, provide a reminder to your embassy in order to facilitate your family’s move. You can submit your application online at: https://fap.diplo.de/webportal/desktop/index.html#start . For more information on when family members are able to come to Germany, get advice from an advice centre.

Note: Family reunification (Familiennachzug) is heavily limited for one-year residence permits (subsidiärer Schutz, subsidiary protection). For this reason, you should go to a legal consultation as soon as possible after receiving your status, so you do not miss any deadlines for legal action against the decision.

No asylum: If your asylum application is denied, you will receive a negative decision and a request for you to leave the country.

You can take legal action against the refusal. Depending on the type of rejection, the time limit to do this is only 1 or 2 weeks. For inadmissible or clearly unfounded claims the limit is 1 week. For this reason, check your mail regularly. In the event of a refusal, you should contact an advice centre as soon as possible. Otherwise, you are promptly obliged to leave the country. If you do not comply with this obligation to leave, you may face deportation (i.e. forcible return to your home country) and an entry ban.

The countries of Albania, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Ghana, Kosovo, Macedonia, Montenegro, Senegal and Serbia are considered safe countries of origin (sichere Herkunftsstaaten) under German asylum law. For this reason, the chances of success for an asylum application are poor. However, the BAMF is obligated to carefully review each asylum application.

Temporary suspension of deportation (Duldung)

For various reasons such as the situation in your country of origin or your health, it is possible that you receive a temporary suspension of deportation (Duldung). When you have a valid temporary suspension of deportation (Duldung), you usually cannot be deported. However, the temporary suspension of deportation (Duldung) can be revoked at any time.
If you start an apprenticeship (Ausbildung) during that time and in case you are allowed to do that, you can apply for a temporary suspension of deportation during an apprenticeship (Ausbildungsduldung) that is valid for up to three years.

If you only have a temporary suspension of deportation (Duldung) you have many disadvantages compared to a residence permit (Aufenthaltserlaubnis). For example, it is possible that you are not allowed to work and there is no safe future regarding your stay. You should therefore always go to an advice centre.

Still undecided: If you do not receive an immediate decision on your asylum application, you get a permission to remain while the asylum decision is pending (Aufenthaltsgestattung) for up to 6 months. Again, please ensure that your name and date of birth are correct. If your permission to remain while the asylum decision is pending (Aufenthaltsgestattung) expires, you need to apply for an extension at the Ausländerbehörde at the Ankunftszentrum or at Hammer Straße 30-34.

Advice on returning: If you would like to return to your home country or must go back due to a refusal, the Flüchtlingszentrum, Adenauerallee 10, can provide consultation and support for the return trip.

6 Expiration or loss of residence title

Due to the corona pandemic it is possible that you cannot go to the Ausländerbehörde in person when your residence title expires. You then should receive a written confirmation that your residence title is still valid. On this letter there is also a date for your appointment at the Ausländerbehörde in person. Always carry this letter with you. In case your residence title is expiring soon and you have not yet received a letter, contact the Ausländerbehörde (m328@amtfuermigration.hamburg.de, +49 40 428992288, Monday to Thursday 8 am – 2 pm, Friday 8 am – 12 pm)

In case you lose your residence title you should also contact the Ausländerbehörde. You have to get a written confirmation of loss (Verlustbescheinigung) from the Ausländerbehörde (Hammer Straße 30-34) that is valid for up to 14 days and receive an appointment to get your residence title. If your residence title was stolen you can also contact the police.

Advice centres for refugees

In these advice centres you will receive help with your asylum procedure. The advice is free and confidential. The employees in the advice centres speak many different languages!

flucht•punkt: Eifflerstraße 3, fluchtpunkt@diakonie-hhsh.de, consultation by phone: +49 40 43250080 (Monday 9:30 am – 1 pm, Wednesday 10 am – 2 pm), consultation in person (tested, vaccinated or recovered and wearing a medical mask): Wednesday 10 am – 2 pm, www.fluchtpunkt-hh.de

Flüchtlingszentrum (refugee centre): Adenauerallee 10, please make an appointment: info@fz-hh.de, +49 40 2840790 (Monday and Friday: 9 am – 1 pm and 2 pm – 4 pm, Tuesday and Thursday: 9 am – 1 pm and 2 pm – 5 pm, Wednesday: 2 pm – 5 pm), www.fz-hh.de

Advice centres for refugees

Café Exil: Hammer Straße 10, +49 40 2368216, Monday and Tuesday: 8 am – 2 pm, Thursday: 3:30 pm – 6 pm Friday (women only): 8 am – 1 pm, closed on Wednesday, http://cafe-exil.antira.info/

Refugee Law Clinic: Free legal advice on the Dublin process, family reunions, preparation for the asylum hearing as well as for women, girl and LGBTI refugees. Further information:

Consultation by video chat: Friday 3 pm – 6 pm, register until Thursday 8 pm by email: rlc-beratung@uni-hamburg.de (if a translator is needed, please state so); link for the video chat will be received via email

Last Updated: 12.01.2022