This webpage will help you orientate yourself in your search for work and training. But you should seek advice. You can find addresses here. Whether or not you are allowed to work in Germany usually depends on your residence permit.

Do I have the right to work?

Whether or not you are allowed to work depends on your Aufenthaltstitel (residence permit) . If you are not sure which type of Aufenthaltstitel you have, our webpage on “Asyl” may be helpful:

Aufenthaltserlaubnis (residence permit): When your Aufenthaltserlaubnis states “Employment permitted”, then you may start working or begin an apprenticeship. If your residence permit states “Gainful activity permitted”, you may also work independently, such as starting your own business.

Duldung, Ankunftsnachweis, Aufenthaltsgestattung, After three months in Germany, you may apply for a work permit at the Immigration Office.

If you come from a safe country of origin and have applied for asylum after 31/08/2015, it is unlikely that you will get a work permit. In this case, go to the Flüchtlingszentrum for advice. Contact information:                                     Flüchtlngszentrum, Adenauerallee 10, 20097 Hamburg, Tel: +49 40 2840790

What do I need to find work?

In order to find work, you usually need to be qualified for that work and have the necessary language skills.


If you already have credentials from your country of origin, you can have them recognised under certain conditions. To get this recognition, you may also have to do some further education or training in Germany. The Zentrale Anlaufstelle Anerkennung can provide advice in several languages for recognition and further education. Contact information: Schauenburgerstraße 49, 20095 Hamburg,

Training and education:

You have the right to take part in training regardless of your gender or age if you have a Aufenthaltserlaubnis . If you have a  Duldung or Aufenhaltsgestattung, you will also need a permit from the Ausländerbehörde (Immigration Office), Hammer Str. 30-34, 22041 Hamburg (Tel: +49 40 428992288). With a Aufenthaltsgestattung, you can get this permit only after being in Germany for three months.

An apprenticeship takes two or three years. During this time, you work in a company and also learn important information for the job in a vocational school. You earn around € 500 to € 1000 per month. During the training and for two years after the training, you will receive a Duldung and can not be deported.

More information on apprenticeships is available here:

Under certain conditions, you can study at a university or college in Germany.

More information: You can also find more information on studying on our “Education” webpage:

How do I find work?

If you are at least 25 years old and are looking for work, you can get advice from Team Flucht und Asyl (Team Refuge and Asylum) at the Agentur für Arbeit. Contact and further information:

Centre 1: Norderstraße 105, 20097 Hamburg                                                        Centre 2: Bargkoppelstieg 14, 22145 Hamburg

Team Flucht und Asyl can provide you with advice on work and training in Germany in multiple languages and inform you of other ways to get help. You should bring your credentials and information on your previous training and work experience to a discussion with the Team Flucht und Asyl.

If you are younger than 25 years of age, go to the Jungend-Berufsagentur. You can find their various locations in Hamburg here: You should make an appointment before visiting.

If you do not have the support of an official office for a job search, you can apply to jobs on your own. You can find job offers on these websites, among others:, www.jobbö

If you are working or training and want to improve your German for your job, you can find help here:

If you would like to have a mentor to help you with your job search and applications, you may apply here:

In Germany, workers have rights, such as the right to paid leave and a minimum wage. These rights also apply to you. If you feel that you are not being treated fairly, you may turn to the Deutschen Gewerkschaftsbund (DGB) for advice. Besenbinderhof 60, 20097 Hamburg. Tel: +49 40 2351960; E-Mail:

What is an internship?


A chance to get to know the day-to-day work in a profession. During an internship, you work in a business or establishment for several weeks or months. You get to know the everyday working life in a profession and the business can see if you are suitable for this job. There are many different types of internships in Germany. Some are paid, some are not. You can find advice on internships here:


Flüchtlingszentrum Hamburg,, CJD,, Tel.: +49 40 21111810.


Who is allowed to do an intership?

Everyone is allowed to do an intership without regard to gender, age or qualifications.

If you have a Aufenthaltserlaubnis (residence permit), you can do an internship without permission. If you receive money from the Jobcenter, the Jobcenter generally has to agree to the internship.

But you may also do an internship

  • if you have a Duldung (temporary suspension of deportation) and no ban on employment.
  • if you have a Aufenthaltsgestattung (temporary residence permit).

In most cases, an internship is possible after three months of living in Germany. With Duldung or Aufenthaltsgestattung you require the permission of the Ausländerbehörde (foreign nationals authority).

How to improve your German

If you would like to learn German or improve your German, have a look at our webpage “Learning German”:

Last Updated: 19.09.2018

Print Friendly, PDF & Email